WhatsApp like most messaging apps offers a read receipts function that notifies you when a receiver has viewed your message. However, not everyone likes the function, and if you feel compelled to react to a message because of reading receipts, there’s a simple method to turn it off in WhatsApp for Android and iPhone.
Blue ticks on WhatsApp indicate that the other person has read the message you sent. It informs you that your communication has been received. You won’t be able to see the blue ticks if they’ve turned them off. This is due to the fact that they must maintain their privacy and do not want others to know when they have seen a message.
If read receipts are disabled on your account, it will be disabled for the whole conversation. Even if the other person in chat has them enabled!
How to Turn off Read Receipts on Android
How to Turn off Read Receipts on Whatsapp Step by Step Guide:
- From the app drawer or the home screen, launch WhatsApp.
- Now select More Option from the drop-down menu (three vertical dots on the top right corner).
- Then select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Go to Accounts now.
- Select Privacy from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, flip the read receipts toggle to off.
How to Turn off Read Receipts on iPhone
- On your phone, open WhatsApp.
- Now, on the bottom navigation bar, touch “Settings.”
- Then choose “Account,” followed by “Privacy.”
- Turn the toggle next to “Read Receipts” off now.
Read receipts are great for letting people know you’ve received their messages, but there is a downside. If someone turns them off then they won’t show up in notification and if one person has read it the double gray checkmarks will be replaced by single ones – this way only that particular conversation member gets an alert when another individual sends something new to everyone else on chat!
Note: You can’t turn off the read receipts for group chat or voice messages. There’s no way to disable them either!